Avoid the Allergen
Have your friends ever wondered what it would be like to live with a food allergy? Tell them to try it for a day!
- Have three of your friends help you with this project. Assign each of them an allergen, such as wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, or soy.
- Challenge them to stay away from that allergen for one whole day.
- Provide your friends with the scientific names for their assigned food (if you need help, e-mail us).
- Have your friends read every ingredient label for every single thing they eat for one day. They shouldn’t eat anything that doesn't have a label. If they want to eat a food prepared by someone, they must ask about the ingredients first.
- After your friends have each finished, have them answer these questions.
- Who avoided the food for the entire day?
- Who cheated?
- What were the toughest parts about avoiding the food allergen?
- Did they find the allergen in a place where they didn't expect it?
What You Learned
Did your friends have a harder time staying away from their food than they thought? Make a display board with the pictures of the foods that your friends learned they could not eat to share your findings.