Do you really know what you are eating?
How much do others really know about what they are eating? Here is a great way to find out!
- Pick three common food allergens, such as tree nuts, milk, and eggs.
- Look up the scientific names for these foods that may appear on an ingredient label (e-mail us if you need help).
- Plan a trip to the grocery store.
- When you go to the grocery store, see if you can find these ingredients in foods where you wouldn't expect them to be. For example, milk can be found in "non-dairy" creamer, eggs have been used to make potato chips, and tree nuts can show up in prepackaged sugar-cookie dough!
- Take pictures of some foods that you bring home that you were surprised to find tree nuts, milk and eggs in.
- Make a poster with the pictures and ask people if they can guess which food contains which allergen.
What You Learned
Were people able to guess correctly? Make a display board to share the answer.